Freegal® Music is a free music service from your library. All you need is your library card number and a PIN.
Freegal offers access to over 7 million songs, including Sony Music’s catalog of legendary artists. In total the collection is comprised of music from over 28,000 labels with music that originates in over 100 countries. There is no software to download, and there are no digital rights management (DRM) restrictions.
Streaming AND Downloading
You now have a weekly download allotment of 5 songs, and a DAILY streaming allotment of 3 hours. Counters are in the upper right corner and will keep you informed of your allotments and usage. The download counter resets each week at Monday 12:01 AM (Central Time, USA).
How to Stream
- When you put your cursor over a song or an album, you will see a “stream now” button come up. That’s your cue to press that button and start listening. If you press that button on an album, the whole album will play in order.
- You can use “Freegal Playlists”. This is a list of pre-selected songs in a genre that you are sure to enjoy.
- To create a playlist:
- Click on “My Playlists” under “Streaming” on the left side.
- Click on “Create and Store Playlists”.
- At the top center, click on the “+” symbol next to “Saved Playlists”.
- Name your playlist (ex. “The Boss”) and describe it (ex. “Bruce”).
- In that box, click on “Create New Playlist” and your playlist is ready to add music.
- Click on the “Home” page and start looking for music to add.
- To add an album, move your cursor over an album cover and a =+ will appear. Click on that, and then add to your chosen playlist option.
- To add an individual song, click on the image until you see a play arrow and =+ sign. Pressing the =+ will allow you to add the song to your chosen playlist.
How to Download
Freegal Music utilizes the browser to download music, so there is no need to install anything on your computer. That’s one of the benefits of the site.
- Click on the “Home” page and start looking for music to download by clicking on an album cover, using the search box at the top of the screen or using the browse button at the top of the screen.
- To download a song, click on the image until you see a play arrow and a =+ sign. Pressing the =+ will allow you to download the song to your computer.
- Click Download Now.
Go Mobile with Freegal Apps!
Freegal Music is also a mobile experience. The Freegal Music app is available for Android and Apple devices in the stores/marketplace for you to be able to stream ad-free music, at no charge to you.